Visual search with VizSeek APIs has unlimited possibilities. Below are some of our solutions to visual problems.
Have questions about these or want to talk about your visual search needs? Get in touch today – we'd love to hear from you!
Getting visibility to past designs is often challenging using a text based search in PLM systems due to incorrect part numbering, part naming, and part classification. The problem is compounded for global companies by language differences. There are huge benefits of reusing existing designs instead of starting from scratch. Getting a head start speeds up the design process and time to market saving valuable time and money.
By using VizSeek, visual and shape search, the design engineer can overcome barriers associated with text based search, and locate parts they’ve made previously. To search visually, the engineer can either upload a photo, a hand drawn sketch, 2D CAD drawing, 3D sketch or 3D model to quickly find exact and similar existing parts in the design database. Once the engineer has inspected the part geometry and associated manufacturing data, the part can be inserted into the new design.
- Eliminates the creation of duplicate parts
(As per an LMI study, each new part added to inventory costs an average of $27,500)*
- Understanding the issues with previous designs will lead to better design decisions
(According to a study by Arthur D. Little, up to 80% of an engineer’s work is identical (or almost) to something that has already been done within the company)**
- Faster time to market for new products
Baseline for metrics
- 200 workstations with an annual cost of $50,000 each
- 5% time savings
(As per a McDermott study, workers spent 38% of their time searching for information.)***
* Logistics Management Institute study for the US Defense Logistics Agency (April 2012)
** CIMdata. (April 2011) The ROI of PLM, "Validating the Possible"
*** Dassault Systemes. (2015) reUse: The secret of most competitive industrial companies
Getting visibility to sourcing history for similar parts is important for identifying suppliers with the right capabilities and to understand costing data. Because sourcing focuses on finding the best and least expensive suppliers, it is imperative to have complete access to this information in order to maximize company profits.
By using VizSeek, visual and shape search, procurement engineers can find parts that they’ve previously sourced without worrying about what the part is called or the name of a supplier in their supply chain. Since procurement engineers typically don’t have access to the 3D CAD models, the best way to search visually would be to simply upload a photo, hand sketch or 2D drawing of the part needed, to find similar parts in the sourcing database. When the matching parts are returned, the engineer can then review the procurement data to identify the best supplier, cost, timeline and quality. This important information can be used to make a smart and profitable purchase.
- Enables cost efficient sourcing decisions.
- Identification of suppliers who have the right capabilities, promoting supply chain collaboration.
(As per Bain & Co. This can result in up to 4% improvement in operational margin)*
- 10 personnel using VizSeek to make $5,000,000 in annual purchases.
- 4% decrease in operational costs (Bain & Co.)
* Bain & Co. (June 16, 2015) Operational performance improvement in industrial companies
When equipment breaks down in the field, many times local personnel can’t properly identify the model number of a broken part. The service engineer will call the company’s customer service department trying to describe the part. They often take a picture of the broken part and email it to the rep. On occasions they will even send the physical part just so it can be identified. Once identified, customer service will then have to coordinate with the engineer to locate the right part and get it delivered to the job site. This whole process can take days causing devastating construction delays.
By using VizSeek, visual and shape search, the service engineer can quickly identify the defective part. Just upload a photo or a hand drawn sketch of the part using a mobile app built by VizSeek, and matching parts are returned including detailed attribute information. Once the engineer has selected the correct part, it can be ordered and scheduled to be shipped to the job site immediately.
- Turnaround time is reduced from 20 mins to less than 3 mins for service requests that can be satisfied by CUSTOMER SERVICE CALLS ONLY
- Reduce turnaround time for other service requests from 2 days to hours
- Increased customer satisfaction
- Improved potential for capturing aftermarket part sales from non-OEM competitors
- Increase of on-call requests attended by an average of 50/day/customer service rep
- 5 service reps, @ $491per B2B order (Forrester) @5% conversion rate
- 10% of additional value capture (conservative)
Additional Top Line: $122,750/year
Tooling is the most expensive upfront investment for a company when producing parts. Getting visibility to existing tooling for similar parts becomes critical to reduce tooling costs. Using a text or part number based search across multiple systems is inaccurate and inefficient due to incorrect part numbering, part naming, and part classification. The problem is compounded for global companies by language differences.
By using VizSeek, visual and shape search, production engineers can find similar parts for potential reuse of existing tooling. The engineer can upload a photo, hand sketch, 2D sketch, 2D drawing or a 3D model to locate existing parts and or tooling in their database. Not only exact parts / tooling is returned but also similar parts. Along with the CAD data, part attributes and tooling details are also visible to the engineer. By reusing existing tooling, time to market and lead times are reduced.
- $6,000 is the average cost of tooling per part (CES)
- 8-12 weeks is the average time to produce tooling (CES)
- 30% of tooling can be reused (McKinsey)
- Identification of available tooling can reduce upfront investment, production lead time and time to market
- 1000 new parts produced/year with a tooling cost of $6,000,000
- 30% possible reuse, 10% of the 30% actual reused
The traditional request for quoting process uses part numbers along with keyword searches which can be inefficient and inaccurate. If a previous design can’t be located using this method, the engineer would typically have to sketch the part and do some research before providing a quote. This can lead to higher design and production costs along with slower responses to customers.
By using VizSeek, visual and shape search, quoting engineers can respond to customers much quicker. The engineer can upload a photo, 2D hand sketch, 2D drawing or a 3D model to find similar existing parts that they have previously quoted. Similar and exact parts are returned along with ERP, machine code, estimates and lead times. Once a matching part has been selected, the engineer can use the information to rapidly respond to the customer RFQ with accurate pricing and delivery times.
- Quoting time is decreased from days to less than an hour
- Design and production costs drop by 30%
- Traditional process: $50 hour x 8 hours (engineering services) = $400
- Using visual search: $50 hour x 1 hour (engineering services) = $50
(based on two quotes per day taking 8 hours per quote vs 1 hour using visual search)
Buyers are often unable to quickly locate the part or product within 3-4 minutes in their online catalog. Customers then move on to the next product or even worse, move on to your competition resulting in loss of sales.
By using VizSeek, visual and shape search, your customers can locate the part they are looking for much quicker. Parts can sometimes be difficult to describe or the customer may not know what the part is called. With visual search, the customer can snap a photo with their mobile device, and matching parts are returned in the blink of an eye. They can then choose which one they want, and make the purchase. This takes the guess work out for the customer and makes it super simple.
- Overall buying experience
- Higher close rate percentage
- Increase in customer loyalty